Kalamazoo College Upper Hall Dormitory Room
MetadataShow full item record
Kalamazoo College students Lynn A. Wright (left) and Fred O. Pinkham (right) in their dormitory room in Upper Hall, around 1909. Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, a four-story men's dormitory. As originally built, it consisted of 36 study rooms, 36 double bedrooms, a chapel, and six recitation rooms. A fire, apparently caused by faulty wiring, broke out in the attic on March 17, 1916. The fourth floor was so badly damaged by fire and water that it had to be torn down. The decision was made to repair the building as a three-story structure, with a new and different roof style. In 1924, Upper Hall was renamed Williams Hall after beloved Dean Clarke Benedict Williams, who, along with his wife, died in the 1923 Yokohama earthquake. Hoben Hall was built immediately to the east of Williams. In 1937, as soon as students moved into Hoben, Williams Hall was demolished. The appointments in Williams Hall are not luxurious but are such as men enjoy. --April, 1928 Kalamazoo College Bulletin. The photographer is not identified.