Kalamazoo College Wheaton Lodge
MetadataShow full item record
An exterior view of Kalamazoo College's Wheaton Lodge (Ladies' Hall). This is a later photograph of the building, showing an added fire escape at left. Ladies' Hall, the first residence built for women at Kalamazoo College, was first occupied in September 1887. Credit for raising the funds for construction goes to Baptist women's groups around the state of Michigan, who sold bricks at 10 cents each. The total cost of construction was $7,000, and the Hall housed 30 women. The young women were expected to share in the domestic duties of the Hall one hour each day. On Sundays and Wednesdays, young men were allowed to call in the social room on the first floor. In 1922, the building was renamed Wheaton Lodge in memory of Mrs. Archibald Wheaton, who had served as hall matron for many years. After the completion of Trowbridge Hall, Wheaton Lodge served as overflow housing for men. It was torn down in 1929 to make way for Mandelle Library. The photographer and date are unknown.