Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorUnknownen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1940-1949en_US
dc.date.accessioned2009-08-28T21:09:55Z
dc.date.available2009-08-28T21:09:55Z
dc.date.issued1942en_US
dc.identifier.otherC36.01.04en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10920/9964
dc.description.abstractThe interior of Kalamazoo College's Stetson Chapel in about 1942. Stetson Chapel was dedicated on Founders Day, 1932, the 99th birthday of Kalamazoo College. It was named in honor of Dr. Herbert Lee Stetson, for many years President of the College. The Chapel, built through gifts of many students and alumni, seats 750. It was designed by architect Aymar Embury of New York City. The chapel bells were installed in 1984. These eight English tower bells are each inscribed with "Lux Esto" and the name of a major figure in early College history. Major renovations to the Chapel in 1986 included a much-needed new acoustical system, new temperature control, new offices, and other improvements. In 1988, a new Hellmuth Wolff organ was installed to replace the 1936 original. The Chapel is located at the west end of the campus quadrangle, at the top of the hill. Its bell tower is a landmark on the Kalamazoo horizon.en_US
dc.publisherKalamazoo Collegeen_US
dc.relation.ispartofKalamazoo College Archives Photograph Collectionen_US
dc.rightsU.S. copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior written permission of the copyright holder.en_US
dc.subjectFacilities - Stetson Chapelen_US
dc.subject.lcshKalamazoo College -- Facilitiesen_US
dc.subject.lcshKalamazoo College. Stetson Chapelen_US
dc.titleKalamazoo College Stetson Chapel Interioren_US
dc.typeImageen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record