Kalamazoo College Trowbridge Hall Dormitory Room
MetadataShow full item record
Two unidentified female Kalamazoo College students in their Trowbridge Hall dormitory room. One of the oldest buildings on campus as of 2009, Mary Trowbridge Hall was first occupied in Fall, 1925. As with Wheaton Lodge, an earlier hall for women, funds for the building were largely raised by Baptist women’s groups across the state. Mary Trowbridge, for whom the building was named, was a former student, a leader among Baptist women in Michigan, and the wife of a college trustee. The original building, designed by Albert Kahn, was added on to in 1939 and again in 1957. The 1939 addition was when the phrase "The End of Learning is Gracious Living" was engraved on a plaque near the southeast corner of the building. The original structure housed the College's first dining hall in the basement. It was used for all residential students until the construction of Welles Hall in 1940. The photographer is unidentified.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Kalamazoo College (Kalamazoo, Mich. : Kalamazoo College, 1983)Two unidentified female students holding the Trowbridge Hall banner for Homecoming, 1983. They are on the track at Angell Field. The photographer is not known.
Morgan, Ward C. (Kalamazoo College, 1953)An exterior view of Kalamazoo College's Trowbridge Hall in 1953. One of the oldest buildings on campus as of 2009, Mary Trowbridge Hall was first occupied in Fall, 1925. As with Wheaton Lodge, an earlier hall for women, ...