Kalamazoo College Mandelle Library Reference Desk
Librarian Elliott L. Moses at the Reference Desk in Mandelle Library, 1933. The Reference Room (later named the Olmsted Room) was to the east of the entry doors. From 1964 (and perhaps earlier) this desk served as the library's Circulation Desk. When President Allan Hoben arrived on campus in 1922, one of the things he found lacking was an adequate library. The existing library was crammed into two rooms in Bowen Hall and the needs of the College had outgrown the space available. This continued until Mary "Minnie" Senter Mandelle left the College a bequest of $350,000 for the construction of a new library. All agreed that the library needed a prominent location on campus so Wheaton Lodge, no longer needed after the opening of Trowbridge, was torn down to make way for the new building. Dedicated in November 1930, Minnie Mandelle Library was designed by Aymar Embury and served as the College's library until 1967 when Upjohn Library was completed. It was then renovated to house the College’s administrative offices. The photographer is unidentified.