Kalamazoo College 1898 Birds'-Eye View
Schoch, George W.
MetadataShow full item record
A birds'-eye view of Kalamazoo, showing Kalamazoo College's Lower Hall, or Kalamazoo Hall, (right, with cupola) and baseball field. Lower Hall was completed in 1859. The original structure featured towers on the north and south ends of the building; one was torn down in 1877. Until the completion of Bowen Hall in 1902, Lower Hall was the main classroom building for Kalamazoo College. After classes moved to Bowen Hall, the building was used for the College's Preparatory Department and for the Eurodelphian Society (the women's literary society). At the center of the photo is South Street. The streets at left (Academy) and right (Lovell) continued through to the campus area on the hill from which this photograph was taken. The photographer may have been in a room or on the roof of Williams (Upper) Hall, which had been built in 1849. Mirror Lake, drained in the late 1920s, is visible on the lower edge of the photo.