The Heroon of Mitrou
MetadataShow full item record
The Mitrou Archaeological Project (MAP) is an excavation and fieldschool run by the University of Tennessee and the Greek Archaeological Service and is co-directed by Professor Aleydis Van de Moortel of the Classics Department at the University of Tennessee and Eleni Zahou of the 14th Ephoreia of Classical and Prehistorical Antiquities (IDEPKA) at Lamia. Mitrou is a tidal islet on the North Euboean Gulf in central Greece, off the coast of Tragana, a village about 140 km north from Athens. Mitrou is 330 meters long by 180 meters wide. While Mitrou is an island now because of the changes in sea levels over the years, during the Bronze Age it was probably a low hill some distance inland from the sea. The goals of the excavation at Mitrou are to answer questions about the development of and the transitions though prehistoric civilization in East Lokris and about the changing historical relationships of this area to the rest of Greece and the Aegean. Mitrou is unique in the fact that it seems to have been inhabited throughout the transitional phase between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age (1200-900 BCE), a period still poorly understood by Greek archaeologists. The 2007 season of MAP was the fourth season of excavation at Mitrou. MAP has a five-year grant for excavation. I worked in the southern section of the northeastern part of the site. This area lay right below the convergence of several Bronze Age and Iron Age buildings, designated Buildings A, B, and D. There were also two unidentified walls, wall 44 and 45, which had been uncovered in 2006. The primary objectives for this area of the site were to find the southern wall of Building D, to identify any exterior surfaces that might be associated with Buildings A, B, and D, to reveal the full extent and nature of walls 44 and 45, and to further reveal and find the limits of a Late Helladic IIIA/B (1400-1325 BCE) pebbled street.