Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorKalamazoo College
dc.date.accessioned2008-04-24T13:40:43Z
dc.date.available2008-04-24T13:40:43Z
dc.date.issued
dc.date.issuedpre-1916
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10920/4762
dc.description.abstractConstruction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, which was originally meant to house the Theological Seminary. However, the four story structure became a men's dormitory. As originally built, it consisted of 36 study rooms, 36 double bedrooms, a chapel, and six recitation rooms. According to the 1902-03 college catalog, rooms for the three men's literary societies were also located in Upper Hall. This photo was taken sometime before the 1916 fire. The fourth floor was so badly damaged by fire and water that it had to be torn down. The decision was made to repair the building as a three-story structure, with a new and different roof style. The cupola and bell that once adorned the building were not replaced. In 1924, Upper Hall was renamed Williams Hall after beloved Dean Clarke Benedict Williams, who, along with his wife, died in the 1923 Yokohama earthquake. Hoben Hall was built immediately to the east of Williams. In 1937, as soon as students moved into Hoben, Williams Hall was demolished.
dc.description.abstract
dc.language.isoen_USen
dc.rightsU.S. copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior written permission of the copyright holder.
dc.subject.lcshPhotographs
dc.titleWilliams Hallen
dc.typeImageen


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record