Architect Howard F. Young, who designed many private homes in the Kalamazoo area, created the plans for the group of seven houses on the southwest corner of the "K" campus. These brick Colonial Revival-style homes were built in two groups, completed in 1927 and 1930 respectively, to house faculty. They all feature two "main" entrances: one on the public, street side of the home, and another facing the campus. Most are connected by pathways. Faculty living in the homes were expected to host student seminars and other gatherings as a condition of their rental. They are now used as living-learning units for students.

Recent Submissions

  • Grove House Questionnaire 

    Unknown author (1983)
    Questionnaire given to alumni asking for assistance to build a detailed record of the Grove Houses. On the back a small map and a list of each of the Grove House residents (up until 1983) is given.
  • Kalamazoo College Alumni House 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 2009-08-28)
    Kalamazoo College's "Alumni House," one of the College Grove houses built to house faculty. This house is located at 217 Monroe Street, on the west end of campus. It was constructed in 1930, along with six other homes that ...
  • Kalamazoo College Faculty Homes 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 2009-08-28)
    A view of three of the faculty homes (also known as College Grove) on the southwest corner of the Kalamazoo College quadrangle. A note on the back of this photograph reads "Faculty row -- President Allan Hoben's conception ...
  • Kalamazoo College Faculty Housing Landscape Work 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 1927)
    Students and others working on the landscaping around the faculty homes (also known as College Grove), which are located at the west end of the campus quadrangle along Monroe and Lovell streets. Several of the students ...
  • 2 College Grove 

    Kalamazoo College ()
  • Hornbeck House 

    Kalamazoo College ()