The Old Branch building was built in 1838 and was situated on what is now Bronson Park. According to the college history 'A Fellowship in Learning' by Marlene Crandell Francis, "The two-story frame building held one large room on the ground floor, used for the male department. Upstairs one room held Lucinda’s [the wife of President J.A.B. Stone] classes with the young women and another, smaller room was reserved for tutorials and for informal student gatherings. The downstairs room held a blackboard, quite a rare convenience for that time, and included a stage where the young men learned to present orations before their fellows and, at times, before the young women who might laugh at or cheer their efforts."
All materials in this collection are copyrighted by Kalamazoo College and subject to Title 17 of the U.S. Code.