Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, which was originally meant to house the Theological Seminary. However, the four story structure became a men's dormitory. As originally built, it consisted of 36 study rooms, 36 double bedrooms, a chapel, and six recitation rooms. According to the 1902-03 college catalog, rooms for the three men's literary societies were also located in Upper Hall. It was remodeled in 1911, however, a fire, apparently caused by faulty wiring, broke out in the attic on March 17, 1916. The fourth floor was so badly damaged by fire and water that it had to be torn down. The decision was made to repair the building as a three-story structure, with a new and different roof style. The cupola and bell that once adorned the building were not replaced. In 1924, Upper Hall was renamed Williams Hall after beloved Dean Clarke Benedict Williams, who, along with his wife, died in the 1923 Yokohama earthquake. Hoben Hall was built immediately to the east of Williams. In 1937, as soon as students moved into Hoben, Williams Hall was demolished.

Recent Submissions

  • Kalamazoo College Williams (Upper) Hall 

    Unknown (1910)
    Kalamazoo College's Williams Hall (Upper Hall), sometime before the fire of 1916. Bowen Hall, built in 1902, can be seen at the far left. Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, a four-story men's dormitory. It ...
  • Kalamazoo College Williams (Upper Hall) 

    Unknown (1937)
    Kalamazoo College's Williams (or Upper) Hall in about 1937, just prior to demolition. The new Hoben Hall dormitory is just behind Williams at left. As soon as the students moved out of Williams and were settled in Hoben, ...
  • Kalamazoo College Williams Hall 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 1902)
    Kalamazoo College's Williams Hall (Upper Hall), before the fire of 1916. Bowen Hall, built in 1902, can be seen at the far left. Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, a four-story men's dormitory. As originally ...
  • Kalamazoo College Williams Hall 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 1916-1930)
    Kalamazoo College's Williams Hall (Upper Hall), sometime after the fire of 1916. Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, a four-story men's dormitory. As originally built, it consisted of 36 study rooms, 36 double ...
  • Kalamazoo College Williams Hall 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 1916-1936)
    Kalamazoo College's Williams Hall (Upper Hall), sometime after the fire of 1916. Bowen Hall, built in 1902, can be seen at the far left. Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, a four-story men's dormitory. As ...
  • Kalamazoo College Williams Hall Dormitory Room 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 1909)
    Kalamazoo College students Lynn A. Wright (left) and Fred O. Pinkham (right) in their dormitory room in Williams Hall, around 1909. Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, a four-story men's dormitory. As originally ...
  • Williams Hall 

    Kalamazoo College (pre-1916)
    Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, which was originally meant to house the Theological Seminary. However, the four story structure became a men's dormitory. As originally built, it consisted of 36 study ...