Severn Hall was built in 1965 to house 118 male students, and is located on the northeast side of campus along Acker Lane. The building was named for Hermon Harrison Severn, who was a longtime professor of classics and Dean of the College from 1923 to 1937. Funds for the "H"-shaped, suite-style building came primarily from an anonymous donor. The architect was Edward Embury, the son of Aymar Embury who had designed Mandelle Hall (1930) and Hoben Hall (1936). The college used Severn Hall as a co-ed residential experiment in 1970, leading to all dorms changing to co-ed in following years.

Recent Submissions

  • CLC Sub-Committee Report on the Severn Community 

    Unknown author (1971)
    Report given by the Campus Life Committee (CLC) on the coeducation living experiment of Severn Hall. The report details the effects of co-ed living on students personal habits as well as their personal opinions on the ...
  • Gift Spurs New Men's Dormitory on 'K' Campus 

    Bostwick, Frank (1964-09-13)
    Report on the donations enabling the construction of Severn Hall. The report also details the plans and features of Severn Hall.
  • Kalamazoo College Severn Hall 

    Frutchey, James E. (Kalamazoo College, 1965)
    Kalamazoo College's Severn residence hall under construction. Severn Hall was built to house 118 male students, and is located on the northeast side of campus along Acker Lane. The building was named for Hermon Harrison ...
  • Kalamazoo College Severn Hall Dormitory Room 

    Lyttle, Douglas (Kalamazoo College, 1966)
    Bob Baker, Class of 1966, is shown in his room in Severn Hall, which was built in 1965 to house 118 male students, and is located on the northeast side of campus along Acker Lane (formerly called Carmel Street). The building ...