Stowe Tennis Stadium was constructed in 1946 and named after tennis coach and Professor of Chemistry, Dr. Allen B. Stowe. Originally, it included nine clay courts which were resurfaced in 1964 with a green fibrous asphalt. Lights for nighttime use were added in 1964 while two more courts were added in 1979. The courts were again re-surfaced in 2006, this time with a Deco Turf II blue surface. The seating capacity of the stadium is 3,500 people. Stowe Stadium is located at the corner of West Main Street and Acker Lane.

Recent Submissions

  • Kalamazoo College 1980 Tornado Damage 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 1980)
    A Polaroid photograph showing some of the damage at Kalamazoo College's Stowe Tennis Stadium after the tornado in May of 1980. The tornado, which hit Kalamazoo on May 13, 1980, traveled down West Main Street, passing ...
  • Kalamazoo College Stowe Stadium 

    Morgan, Ward C. (Kalamazoo College, 1947)
    A tennis tournament in progress at Stowe Stadium, Kalamazoo College, 1947. This was possibly the fourth National Junior and Boys' Tennis Championship (now USTA Boys' Nationals) to be held at the College, and only the first ...
  • Kalamazoo College Stowe Stadium Dedication, 1946 

    Kalamazoo Gazette (Kalamazoo College, 1946)
    Dedication ceremonies for Stowe Tennis Stadium at Kalamazoo College, August 3, 1946. The new facilities, built at a cost of about $50,000, included nine tournament-quality clay courts and a stadium. Although the College's ...
  • Kalamazoo College Women's Tennis Match 

    Unknown (Kalamazoo College, 1950s)
    Women playing tennis at Kalamazoo College's Stowe Stadium. This photograph was taken in the 1950s or early 1960s, prior to the change from clay courts to all-weather surface in 1964. To the left beyond the fences with black ...
  • Stowe Stadium Tennis Courts 

    Kalamazoo College (2005)