Kalamazoo College Stetson Chapel Bells Being Delivered
MetadataShow full item record
A truck delivering the eight English tower bells that were installed in Kalamazoo College's Stetson Chapel Bell Tower in 1984. The bells are each inscribed with "Lux Esto" and the name of a major figure in early College history: Lucinda Hinsdale Stone, first principal of the "female department" at Kalamazoo College and national pioneer of women's education (Treble Bell, 23" diameter, 334 lbs., note A); James A. B. Stone, first president of Kalamazoo College (2nd Bell, 23 5/8" diameter, 360 lbs., note G#); Madelon Stockwell, first woman graduate of the University of Michigan, who began her education at Kalamazoo College (3rd Bell, diameter 24 3/4", 392 lbs., note F#); Thomas W. Merrill, Baptist minister and co-founder of the College (4th Bell, diameter 26", 414 lbs., note E); Jeremiah Hall, pastor of First Baptist Church of Kalamazoo and invaluable supporter of the College in its early years (5th Bell, diameter 28", 512 lbs., note D); Titus Bronson, first permanent settler in the Kalamazoo area (6th Bell, diameter 29 1/2", 556 lbs., note C#); Arthur Gaylord Slocum, sixth president of the College, 1892-1912 (7th Bell, diameter 32 1/2", 768 lbs., note B); Caleb Eldred, co-founder of the College and trustee for more than 30 years (Tenor Bell, diameter 36", 1,024 lbs., note A). The bells are hung in frames that permit a full 360-degree rotation for the practice of change-ringing. The photographer is unknown.