Kalamazoo College Olds-Upton Science Hall
MetadataShow full item record
A view of the Olds-Upton Science Building from the campus quadrangle, in approximately 1974. Harmon Hall is at right, and the Light Fine Arts Building is in the left background. R.E. Olds Science Building, dedicated in June 1928, was named for Ransom E. Olds, the founder and chair of the Reo Motor Company, who donated $130,000 for the project. Before its construction all sciences shared cramped quarters in Bowen Hall. The state of the art facility brought widespread attention to the science program offered at the College. The wing with the lighter stone foundation/lower level extending on the right side of this building is Upton Hall. It was dedicated in Spring 1956 and named for Louis C. Upton, the former president of Whirlpool and a Kalamazoo College trustee from 1948 to 1952. The new space provided facilities for Biology and Math and brought all the sciences under one roof. Olds-Upton was most recently renovated in 1994-95 following the construction of Dow Science Building. The photographer was Joseph Consentino of Ridgefield, Conn.