Kalamazoo College's Angell Field
Morgan, Ward C.
MetadataShow full item record
A Kalamazoo College football game at Angell Field. According to the photographer's records, this picture was taken in October, 1946, at the dedication of Angell Field. The field, to the southwest of the main College campus, occupies land purchased by the Kalamazoo Foundation, the W. E. Upjohn Estate, the Sutherland Paper Company, the Kalamazoo Stove Company, the Upjohn Company, and Charles B. Hayes. The football stadium and pressbox, lights for night contests, and a quarter-mile track were provided by Mr. and Mrs. William R. Angell, in memory of their son, Chester M. Angell. Lt. Angell was killed in action over Sardinia in 1944. Prior to the land's purchase, it functioned as the north nine holes of the City of Kalamazoo's Arcadia Brook Golf Course. Wartime barracks housing can be seen to the left rear of the stands. This is Ward C. Morgan Studios photograph no. 2846-8.