Kalamazoo College Christmas Carol Service, 1931
MetadataShow full item record
A procession of women Kalamazoo College students during Trowbridge Hall's Christmas Carol Service, 1931. The service was a long-standing tradition on campus that had begun in Trowbridge Hall in 1925 or earlier, and eventually took place in Stetson Chapel. The year 1931 was the last time it was held in Trowbridge; by 1932 the new campus chapel had been completed. Candle light, white gowns, and one student (sometimes dressed in red) as "The Spirit of Christmas" were the common features, along with Christmas carol performances. In 1931, Mrs. Sylvia Alford Belden, Music Instructor, and Miss Arelisle Quimby, Dean of Women, were in charge of the service. The painting on the left now hangs in the College library's A. M. Todd Rare Book Room. The women in the photograph and the photographer are not identified.