Kalamazoo College Faculty Homes
MetadataShow full item record
A view of three of the faculty homes (also known as College Grove) on the southwest corner of the Kalamazoo College quadrangle. A note on the back of this photograph reads "Faculty row -- President Allan Hoben's conception of the part the faculty should play in college life at Kalamazoo." Architect Howard F. Young, who designed many private homes in the Kalamazoo area, created the plans for the group of seven houses on the southwest corner of the "K" campus. These brick Colonial Revival-style homes were built in two groups, completed in 1927 and 1930 respectively, to house faculty. They all feature two "main" entrances: one on the public, street side of the home, and another facing the campus. Most are connected by pathways. Faculty living in the homes were expected to host student seminars and other gatherings as a condition of their rental. The photographer and date are unknown.