Severn Hall Dormitory Room
MetadataShow full item record
Bob Baker, Class of 1966, is shown in his room in Severn Hall, which was built in 1965 to house 118 male students, and is located on the northeast side of campus along Acker Lane (formerly called Carmel Street). The building was named for Hermon Harrison Severn, who was a longtime professor of classics and Dean of the College from 1923 to 1937. Funds for the "H"-shaped, suite-style building came primarily from an anonymous donor. The architect was Edward Embury, the son of Aymar Embury who had designed Mandelle Hall (1930) and Hoben Hall (1936). The college used Severn Hall as a co-ed residential experiment in 1970, leading to all dorms changing to co-ed in following years. This is photographer Douglas Lyttle's negative no. 7039N-35A.