Kalamazoo College Welles Hall Kitchen
MetadataShow full item record
A kitchen in Welles Hall, in the 1940s. Kalamazoo College's dining services and student union have been located on the south side of the campus quadrangle since the construction of Welles Dining Hall in 1939-1940. Welles, which first opened for use in January 1940, was built with a bequest from F. R. Welles (1854-1935), a telecommunications executive who had never seen the campus. He was a friend of President Slocum and had been sending gifts for the library for over 40 years. In 1970, major additions to Welles Hall, intended to create more of a "College Union" facility, were completed. This addition, which more than doubled the space of Welles, was soon renamed the Hicks Center in honor of President Weimer K. Hicks, who retired in 1971. The Kalamazoo Gazette photographer is only identified as "Gould."
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Hugh C. Leighton Co., Portland, Maine. (Kalamazoo College, 1910)Color postcard showing Kalamazoo College's Bowen Hall in about 1910. The card is postmarked November 4, 1910.
Star Paper Company (Kalamazoo College, ca. 1902)Color postcard view of Bowen Hall (left) and Upper, or Williams Hall (right). The card is incorrectly labeled. It is postmarked but the year is not shown.
Wayne Paper Box & Printing Corp. (Kalamazoo College, ca. 1902)Postcard showing Kalamazoo College's Bowen Hall in about 1910. Williams (Upper) Hall can be seen on the far right. The card is not postmarked.