Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorUnknownen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1916-1930en_US
dc.date.accessioned2009-08-28T21:53:11Z
dc.date.available2009-08-28T21:53:11Z
dc.date.issued1916-1930
dc.identifier.otherC46.04.12en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10920/10040
dc.description.abstractKalamazoo College's Williams Hall (Upper Hall), sometime after the fire of 1916. Construction was completed in 1849 on Upper Hall, a four-story men's dormitory. As originally built, it consisted of 36 study rooms, 36 double bedrooms, a chapel, and six recitation rooms. A fire, apparently caused by faulty wiring, broke out in the attic on March 17, 1916. The fourth floor was so badly damaged by fire and water that it had to be torn down. The decision was made to repair the building as a three-story structure, with a new and different roof style. In 1924, Upper Hall was renamed Williams Hall after beloved Dean Clarke Benedict Williams, who, along with his wife, died in the 1923 Yokohama earthquake. Hoben Hall was built immediately to the east of Williams. In 1937, as soon as students moved into Hoben, Williams Hall was demolished. The appointments in Williams Hall are not luxurious but are such as men enjoy. --April, 1928 Kalamazoo College Bulletin. The photographer is not identified.en_US
dc.publisherKalamazoo Collegeen_US
dc.relation.ispartofKalamazoo College Archives Photograph Collectionen_US
dc.rightsU.S. copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior written permission of the copyright holder.en_US
dc.subject.lcshKalamazoo College. Williams Hallen_US
dc.subject.lcshDormitoriesen_US
dc.titleKalamazoo College Williams Hallen_US
dc.typeImageen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record