Kalamazoo College Bowen Hall
MetadataShow full item record
Kalamazoo College's Bowen Hall. Bowen Hall was dedicated at Commencement in June, 1902, and served as the College's main classroom building for over half a century. It was named for Charles Clark Bowen, longtime chairman of the Board of Trustees and the College's largest benefactor up to that time. The building housed science laboratories on the lower level; the President's office and lecture rooms on the first floor; the library, eight classrooms and faculty offices on the second floor; and the chapel, YMCA, and YWCA rooms on the top floor. It was located at the southeast corner of the campus quadrangle, where Hicks Center and its south parking lot now sit. The library moved to the new Mandelle Hall in 1930. With the completion of Dewing Hall in 1968 and the renovation of Mandelle into administrative offices, Bowen Hall was no longer the center of College academic life. The building was demolished early in 1969. The photographer and date are unknown.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Beecher-Kymer & Patterson, Kalamazoo, Mich. (Kalamazoo College, ca. 1902)Color postcard of Bowen Hall, Kalamazoo College. The card is postmarked, but the date is unreadable.
Kalamazoo College ()This image shows Bowen Hall from the Quad. In the background at right is one of the additions to Welles Hall. Bowen Hall was built in 1902 and demolished in 1968. Photographed by CPI (Negative no. 1718-5).