Kalamazoo College Welles Hall
MetadataShow full item record
The large dining room in Welles Hall, in about 1942. Kalamazoo College's dining services and student union have been located on the south side of the campus quadrangle since the construction of Welles Dining Hall in 1939-1940. Welles, which first opened for use in January 1940, was built with a bequest from F. R. Welles (1854-1935), a telecommunications executive who had never seen the campus. He was a friend of President Slocum and had been sending gifts for the library for over 40 years. In the early 1940s, the nationally known painter Philip Evergood was appointed resident artist through a Carnegie Foundation grant, and while he was on campus he planned and executed a large mural, "The Bridge of Life," on the east wall of the Welles dining room. Students were involved in the whole process. In 1970, major additions to Welles Hall, intended to create more of a "College Union" facility, were completed. This addition, which more than doubled the space of Welles, was soon renamed the Hicks Center in honor of President Weimer K. Hicks, who retired in 1971. The photographer is unidentified.