Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorUnknownen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1960-1969en_US
dc.date.accessioned2009-08-28T21:48:37Z
dc.date.available2009-08-28T21:48:37Z
dc.date.issued1961en_US
dc.identifier.otherC26.01.03aen_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10920/10012
dc.description.abstractConstruction of Kalamazoo College's Married Student Housing units along West Michigan Avenue, near the College's athletic fields. These units were an addition to the existing housing, which were Army barracks that had been moved to campus to accommodate veterans attending school and their families in 1946. Students had complained for years about the inadequacy of the "hutments" (former barracks), because of their poor heating, lack of space, and layout. The six new duplex units included modern conveniences like individual natural gas furnaces, dinette tables, drapes, and a rent of about $45 a month. The new units were built by the Maywell Company of Elkhart, Indiana, and their installation was complete in May of 1961. Western Michigan University's Read Fieldhouse is in the near background across Michigan Avenue, and the Kalamazoo State Hospital's Queen Anne-style water tower is in the far background. The photographer is not identified.en_US
dc.publisherKalamazoo Collegeen_US
dc.relation.ispartofKalamazoo College Archives Photograph Collectionen_US
dc.rightsU.S. copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior written permission of the copyright holder.en_US
dc.subjectFacilities - Married Student Housing (Hutments)en_US
dc.subject.lcshKalamazoo College -- Facilitiesen_US
dc.subject.lcshKalamazoo College. Married Student Housingen_US
dc.titleKalamazoo College Married Student Housingen_US
dc.typeImageen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record