Stowe Tennis Stadium was constructed in 1946 and named after tennis coach and Professor of Chemistry, Dr. Allen B. Stowe. Originally, it included nine clay courts which were resurfaced in 1964 with a green fibrous asphalt. Lights for nighttime use were added in 1964 while two more courts were added in 1979. The courts were again re-surfaced in 2006, this time with a Deco Turf II blue surface. The seating capacity of the stadium is 3,500 people. Stowe Stadium is located at the corner of West Main Street and Acker Lane.
A Polaroid photograph showing some of the damage at Kalamazoo College's Stowe Tennis Stadium after the tornado in May of 1980. The tornado, which hit Kalamazoo on May 13, 1980, traveled down West Main Street, passing Kalamazoo College and continuing into the downtown area. Several were killed and the damages amounted to over $50 million. Kalamazoo College was lucky, with no injuries and only minor damage to the tennis stadium and cars. Almost immediately after the tornado, students and staff mobilized for several days of cleanup assistance in the city. The photographer is not identified.
A tennis tournament in progress at Stowe Stadium, Kalamazoo College, 1947. This was possibly the fourth National Junior and Boys' Tennis Championship (now USTA Boys' Nationals) to be held at the College, and only the first or second to be held in the new stadium, which was dedicated in 1946. The view is to the northeast. Main Street runs along the left (north) side of the courts; Carmel Street, now Acker Lane, is to the east, where cars can be seen parked in this photograph. This is Ward Morgan negative no. 3088-3.
Dedication ceremonies for Stowe Tennis Stadium at Kalamazoo College, August 3, 1946. The new facilities, built at a cost of about $50,000, included nine tournament-quality clay courts and a stadium. Although the College's five old courts had been resurfaced in 1941, they still did not prove adequate to handle the interest in the sport that was generated under the leadership of Dr. Allen Stowe. Stowe, who graduated from Kalamazoo College in 1920 and returned in 1928 as a professor of Chemistry, also served as tennis coach. Dr. Stowe played a significant role in the 1943 relocation of the National Junior and Boys' Tennis Championships (now USTA Boys' Nationals) to the College. This view is to the southwest. The Gazette photographer is not identified.
Women playing tennis at Kalamazoo College's Stowe Stadium. This photograph was taken in the 1950s or early 1960s, prior to the change from clay courts to all-weather surface in 1964. To the left beyond the fences with black netting is West Main Street. On the right running behind the small white building is Carmel Street, now known as Acker Lane. The photographer is unknown.