Originally called Mary Trowbridge House, this residence hall was built for female students and opened in September of 1925. It was named after Mary (Day) Trowbridge, the wife of Luther H. Trowbridge, Class of 1860. She was a former student at the college and came from a pioneering Baptist family. Albert Kahn was the architect of the residence hall. A wing was added in 1939 which includes a plaque with the motto "The end of learning is gracious living." The college's main dining hall was located in Trowbridge until Welles Hall opened in 1940. The original structure also included a hospital and a play room. The west wing was added in 1957. In the 1990's Trowbridge also housed the Career Development Center, which has since moved to Dewing Hall. Trowbridge is also home to "Pebble Beach".
Dining room in Trowbridge Hall, showing both men and women students seated at tables. At this time, Trowbridge Hall was a women's only residence. Men would walk up campus to Trowbridge for the served meals.