DeWaters Hall, located just to the west of Stetson Chapel, was named for Sarah A. and Enos A. DeWaters, Flint (Mich.) philanthropists and civic leaders, and Kalamazoo graduates. It was dedicated at Homecoming in 1964. It was built to provide rooms for 110 women, at a time when campus was expanding rapidly. The DeWaters family were long-time supporters of Kalamazoo College, having also supported the construction of Hoben Hall. The architects for DeWaters Hall were Stone & Parent.
Interior view of main lounge in DeWaters Hall. Shows the Dedication Ceremony of DeWaters Hall, which took place on October 31, 1964 at 11:30am. Lloyd Averill (Vice-President of Kalamazoo College and Dean of the Chapel) is speaking at the podium.
Sarah Allis DeWaters was a member of the Class of 1900. She and her husband (Enos DeWaters, Class of 1899) donated money for the building of Hoben Hall. Decades later, a new women's dormitory was named in her honor. In addition to this, a women's scholarship known as the Sarah A. DeWaters Fund was begun in 1950.